Sunday 8 May 2011

Doctor Who - Custom Adipose Display



The Adipose stress toy from Wow Stuff is a great little replica of the weird little fat babies from the 4th season episode "Partners in Crime"
 
The only issue with these little guys is that they attract dust and fluff at an incredible rate, so they soon become grubby and don't quite look the part anymore.

I decide to make a simple taxidermy style display for my Adipose, using a glass dome to keep the dust and grime away. I decided to look for a cheap old anniversary clock with an intact glass dome cover to use for my display. The only difficulty I found was that the only glass domes I could find were all too tall to fit my stubby little Adipose properly. I got a bit lucky and managed to find a cheap, old clock which was so rubbishy that it had an acrylic dome instead of a glass one. Nice and easy to cut the bottom off and suitably frame the fat baby.


I used a cutting wheel on a dremel to slice off the base, then sanded the cut nice and flat.

I then collected up a few bits from the workshop,


A piece of thin perforated I took from the inside of an old stereo


An old oak disc which used to be part of a cheap barometer

And a disc of 2mm acrylic I cut from some scrap. This fits perfectly inside the base of the dome, and will be "anchor" which locates the dome onto the base.  I rubbed a bit of 400 grit wet and dry over the two surfaces to make it a little more opaque.


I used the acrylic disc as a template to score the circle onto the thin steel. I then cut the steel with scissors and superglued the two discs together

 
While the glue was setting, I sanded off the nasty old varnish from the oak base, then re-stained it. Then I drilled a few holes and screwed the disc onto the base.


I gave my Adipose a good wash, then sealed him into his new display.  The brass screws are just there to fill up some holes in the wood that were part of it's previous life.


Here he is next to my MFX sonic screwdriver, and a similar display I've done for an old Trilobite fossil I've had for a long time.

2 comments: